Ingredients for 4-5 potions
- 500 grams diced venison meat from haunch or shoulder
- 2 tbsp. flour for dusting the meat
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter or oil for frying
- 200 grams of mushrooms quartered
- 150 grams of bacon in cubes
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 large clove of garlic finely chopped
- 5 crushed juniper berries
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Beef stock or stock cube and water to cover all the ingredients
- A dash of HP sauce
- 1 tsp. cranberry jam or jelly
- 3 dl sour cream
1) Heat the oil or butter in a saucepan and add the bacon, onion, mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until just browning.
2) Add the carrot, celery, garlic and sweat for 5 minutes until beginning to brown. Dust the venison with flour, salt, freshly ground pepper and add it to the pan, stir it around for 4-5 minutes until it has changed colour. Add the dry thyme, crushed juniper berries, HP sauce, cranberry jam/jelly and cover the meat with beef stock or water/beef stock cube. Stir and bring to the boil, skim of the foam. Simmer for 1,5 – 2 hours or until meat is tender, stir occasionally.
3) Add the sour cream at the end of the cooking time. Add more salt if required.
4) Serve with a creamy mash or new potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots and gherkins.